As far as I know there are only 3 ways to make money in your underwear:
- Have a great body and get hired by Calvin Klein / Victoria’s Secret as an underwear model.
- Be a stripper / porn star.
- Learn how to make money at home online via the Internet.
If you’re looking to learn how to do one of the first two, then this blog post is not for you. However, if you want to know some simple strategies to legitimately leverage the Internet to your financial benefit then keep reading.
At some point last year I was up in the middle of the night wasting time on the Internet (probably Facebook or someone else’s blog) and that voice inside my head said something to the tune of “I’m so good at just playing around online, I should get paid for it.” From that point forward, my brain made a shift, and I started to ask myself how are all these websites online are making money. Well, after months of research, and implementing what I have learned, I’ve come up for a step by step process on how to “Make Money in My Underwear.” I apologize for anyone who just visualized that, but seriously, ask yourself, “If you could make money without leaving your house, would you do it?” What if you could make $1,000 a day without leaving your home? (more on that later)
How to Make Money in your Underwear*
* Note: you are not required to be working in your underwear you can also work in; gym shorts, sweat pants, Pjs, in your pink bunny slippers, even naked! Well you get the point.
For this specific article I’m going to focus on how to use a blog, just like this one, to make money online. Yes, there are other ways to make money online, such as with squeeze pages, and PPC, but I haven’t successfully used those techniques YET.
Step 1: Pick a Niche to focus your blog on.
- Get specific. You want to brand yourself as an expert (or highly enthusiastic) on your subject so that your readers return to your site.
- Focus your niche on something you’re passionate about. Here’s a great test from the book Crush It! by Gary Vaynerchuk, “Can you think of at least fifty blog topics that relate to your topic?” If you can’t, its not your niche.
- Don’t write about two unrelated subjects on the same domain name. Think about it, whens the last time you went to a website that had movie reviews and recipes on the same page?
- Use the Google keyword tool to research more about your niche. Including, how many people have searched for your topic and what people within your niche also search for.
- Lets say for this example you love juggling, and your blog’s main focus was on Juggling Tricking, the Google keyword tool would revel that in Februrary14,800 people in the US searched for “juggling tricks,” and 27,100 made that same search globally. That’s 14,800 potential customers every month searching Google to learn more about juggling tricks. Juggling is definitely a niche.
Step 2: Get your blog online
- Why a WordPress.org blog? Its easier to update then a typical website, more flexible, better for Search Engine Optimization (SEO), and the best way to keep in touch with your customers. Most websites (including this one) you read on a daily basis are on blog platforms.
- Why own your own domain name? This is what helps you get to the top of Google. You don’t see many sites on the front page of Google that are sub domains of another site (ex. within a blogger site)
- Its quite easy to get a blog up and running for less then $10 within a couple of days. Here’s how:
- Go to Godaddy to buy your domain based on your keyword research. Currently they’re running a special deal where you can get a .com domain name for only $7.49 per year. I’ve included a link below:
- Go to The Free Blog Factory to set up your blog. The reason I recommend them is because they will take the time to install wordpress, give you a premium theme, hook up your blog with some of the best wordpress pluggins, provide you with over 25 free training videos on how to use your blog, and basically do all the dirty work for you without charging a dime.
- Once inside The Free Blog Factory you’ll be setting up your hosting, this is keeps your blog online, if you plan on expanding to multiple sites, I’d recommend buying the Baby package for unlimited hosting. Its less then $10 a month, and your first month is only a penny, so there is little risk in getting started.
- Watch the Free training The Free Blog Factory provides you so you know how to best use your New blog / website.
- Keeping with the juggling theme, the site JugglingMastery.com is available on GoDaddy. Lets say you buy it to promote your Juggling Tricks. So far you’ve invested less then $8 into your niche.
Step 3: Start Creating Content
- I hope this is obvious but without content, people will not revisit your site. You must have content on your site that provides value to your viewers so that they want to do business with you.
- Get into the habbit of updating regularly, you want to keep your name fresh on people’s mind. Think about it, some of the most popular tv shows have been on tv at the same time and day of the week for years. Ex. SNL is every Saturday at 1135 pm EST.
- Your content can be written, videos, audio, and / or photos. Everything works, nothing doesn’t. Do what you like the best.
- Your topics can be interviews, how to’s, Top 10 lists, book reviews, even reposting of others materials as long as you add your own value to it.
- Give away, yes give away, some of your best tips and advice for free. This way your readers want to share with others the information that they know you’re the best at providing.
- For example, for JugglingMastery.com, you may want to update your blog every Sunday night with a new youtube video on how to do a new juggling trick.
Step 4: Monetize
- Ok, so here’s the fun part. Use this blog to make money.
- Make sure you pick appropriate way to make money with your blog.
- There are various ways to make your blog, make money. You can use ads, market affiliate programs, your primary business, personal 1 on 1 coaching, a product you created, or a product that someone else created.
- This works really well for those of you in a network marketing company too. For example, if you’re in a health and wellness company, you could create a blog on staying fit, with a sidebar ad for your health and wellness company. You’re viewers come to read about staying fit, and at some point curiosity may peak their interest, causing your ideal customer to click a link to learn more about your company.
- Continuing with the Juggling Example. You way want to sell some sort of Juggling products that you use. Perhaps the best bean bags to juggle with or even a product you create, such as a E-book or DVD on How to Juggle for $99.
- How much can you make? Lets do some math: With close to 15,000 people looking online to learn more about juggling tricks, if you were to capture 1% of all searchers to buy your Juggling product you’d have 150 customers. 150 customers x $99 = $14,850 That’s close to $15,000 just for showing others how to do something you love.
Step 5: Drive Traffic to your site
- This may be the most important part of this entire process. In order for your blog to make you money, and thus make money in your underwear, you have to have people looking at it.
- There are 4 large sources of traffic for your blog. Facebook, Google, Youtube, and Twitter. I’ll cover a few ways you can get use each site to gain traffic.
- Facebook – Post your latest blog post to your profile and update your friends on your newest entry. Continue to add more friends who share similar interest in your niche, you can even create a group for people in your niche, and a fan page for your blog. Example. If you update your blog with your newest “how to juggle” video, you could post it to your profile, create a group called “learn to juggle,” find more friends who have the interest “juggling” and have a fan page for “Juggling Mastery.”
- Google – With proper Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and keywords you can get your page onto the front of google search results in your niche, without having to pay for a sponsored link. Here’s an example of how my blog comes up on a very competitive search term as the #1 result on google:
- Youtube – There are a lot of ways to drive traffic to your site via google and other video sharing sites. Insert keywords into your video, create how to videos, that add value, and make sure to link back to your blog from your youtube page. Make sure your videos all have tittles that tell the viewer what they’re looking for. For example, a video blog on you tube with 90 second clips from the Juggling DVD on “How to Juggle,” would work just great. My friend Avram Gonzales actually updates his video blog every single day. When done right, youtube can make you a small fortune.
- Twitter – This is a fun one. With a blog you can have an icon on your page to retweet your article to other people on twitter. Now your viewers can do the same thing, and share it with Their followers. When you write a really good article, this really helps an article spread quickly. If you create an article, or a video with really great value, people will naturally want to share it with others and retweet it. On this blog, its on the top right of this page, go ahead and share this article with your friends. . . you know you want to.
- Other options – You can also post excerpts from your blog on article sharing websites such as Ez Articles, comment on other’s blogs within the niche, remember to lead with value, and to include your blog link in their page, post your articles with a link to your blog in forums, and or linked in. Honestly their are so many sites online that you could market your blog almost nearly everywhere.
Step 6: Track Your Progress
- Make sure to use tools like Google Analytics to track the traffic of your site and see where your visitors are coming from.
- Use the results of your traffic tracking to tweek and adjust your marketing campaign.
Step 7: Constantly be Re-educating Yourself
- I can’t say this enough, social media is always changing and if you don’t keep up to date with the latest trends, you’ll be left behind and be out of date.
- Sites like Mashable.com and BuildingABrandOnline.com can keep you up to date with the latest tips, tricks, and trends in the social media industry, and since you’re working from home you don’t even have to worry about your boss peaking over your shoulder while you read it.
- Keep your abilities in your niche growing, learn new tricks, get testimonials, let others know you’re the expert to come to, and buy from.
So how do you feel? Are you ready to create income from home and have MORE free time?!
BONUS: 3 main topics to education yourself in that will help you make even more money at home (in your underwear)
- Google Adsense -You should study everything from how to set up your account to the best places to place your ads, along with case studies / success stories of correctly done Adsense campaigns
- Affiliate Programs – Learn how to choose the best affiliate programs in order to custom target your audience and then automate it so that you make money in your sleep. Find the best tools to use to integrate your programs into your social media brand.
- Search Engine Optimiazation – Remember, you can pick your niche, have the best content on your site, and the best products, but if you can’t reach your target audience you can’t make money! Learn how to get top google rankings, write the right headlines for your articles, how to use SEO to create passive income, and what are the best tools to manage your SEO.
In the last 10 weeks, this site has actually assisted me in generating close to $6,000 part time from home, and that was before taking a class on Saturday. I learned tons of information during the course and have set a new goal in my business $10k in 10 weeks, from home.